Join the Board
About AWARE Society and Board Recruitment
The AWARE Society is a highly innovative and creative community based non-profit organization with a volunteer Board of Directors. We provide employment services through offices in Burnaby, New Westminster, Surrey and Cloverdale.
AWARE’s Board Recruitment Information
The AWARE Society is seeking community minded, committed individuals who are interested in helping to shape and support the Society with moving toward an exciting and sustainable future.
What’s in it For You?
An opportunity to meet and work with other community and business minded people in the New Westminster, Surrey and Cloverdale areas; and an opportunity to contribute your expertise and knowledge, to learn and develop new skills, and to participate in organizational governance, policy and decision making.
Who Are We Looking For?
- Individuals with a passion for supporting people seeking employment;
- Who believe in the value of community based non-profit organizations;
- Are innovative and appreciate new ways of doing things;
- Like a challenge and are willing to share expertise and knowledge;
- Are team oriented, interested in volunteering and meeting new people.
What is the Commitment?
The AWARE Society’s Board meets monthly, the third Monday of each month at 10:30am.
Each meeting lasts approximately an hour and a half.
Board Membership is for a three year term.
A Board Member Profile
The AWARE Society Board Members work to further the aims, objectives, goals and purpose of the Society.
Duties and Expectations of Directors are that they:
- Hold the best interest of the AWARE Society as first priority
- Attend regular board meetings and other important meeting
Stay informed about organizational matters, prepare for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and reports
- Build a collegial working relationship with other members
- Contribute to the Board decision making process and take on committee work as required
- Practise open and honest communication
- Participate in Board and organizational planning
- Communicate issues and concerns to the Board chairperson
- Champion AWARE programming, and development activities
Future Committee Development to address specific matters, may be considered depending upon organizational and Board of Director need.
Typical committees that may be considered for development include but are not limited to:
- Executive Committee
- Finance Committee
- Board Member Nominating Committee
- Fund Development Committee
Applying for the Board
The AWARE Society Board of Directors is very pleased to accept your application for Board Membership. The Board is AWARE’s foundation and to govern responsibly, we practise systematic recruitment. To that end, we ask that you answer the questions in the Application Form. If you have a resume, please attach.
NOTE: The above links to our online application form, which is submitted via email. If you wish to print and submit a hard copy of the form, please click here to access a PDF version of the form. Return the form to Aware via mail, fax or email, or in person. If you have a resume, please attach.
Return Mail Information
Attention: C. Megan Brown, Executive Director
202, 204 6th Street
New Westminster, BC V3L 3A1
Fax; 604 502 8359
Telephone: 604 502 8355
Should you have any questions during the completion of the form, please feel free to contact the Executive Director.
C. Megan Brown